The Mineral Belt Trail is an 11.6 mile all-season non-motorized ADA accessible route with numerous trailheads and access points. Approximately six miles of this trail meanders through the historic Leadville Mining District. It offers unsurpassed views of the Sawatch and Mosquito ranges.
Dedicated on July 29, 2000, this trail loops the city of Leadville, traveling through aspen groves, conifer forests, wildflower meadows and open vista sage parks.
The trail is designed for bicycles, walkers, wheelchairs, strollers, in-line skaters and long-boarders. Wintertime enthusiasts will find the trail snowcat-groomed, affording freestyle and classic Nordic skiing, snowshoeing and winter biking.
About The Mineral Belt Trail
General Information & Rules
Be courteous to the diverse users that are enjoying the trail with you. Please report violators and vandals. See kiosk panels along the trail for additional rules.
Vehicles: no motorized vehicles are allowed on the trail.
Dogs: must be leashed (county law). Pick up your dogs feces. Reel-in dogs so that bikes & skiers are not in danger of entanglement or collision.
• Donate: for maintenance and improvements. Donation tubes are provided at kiosks or they can be mailed to: Mineral Belt Trail, P.O. Box 666, Leadville, CO 80461
• Winter Grooming: We do our best to groom the trail a couple times a week. Please be patient as our volunteer operators are doing their best to keep the trail in good shape. Keep in mind that the Mineral Belt Trail is a free, multi-use trail and is enjoyed by skiers, walkers/runners, and snow bikers. Be kind, courteous, and have fun!
• Emergency: The trail has color marks on the pavement for emergency response location. Also, reference the nearest mile marker in the winter.
• Shelters: located every couple miles for refuge. See the map. They are after mile markers 3, 5, 7, 10.
• Hazards: Leaving the Trail has hazards. Historic structures are dangerous. Open mine shafts exist in the adjacent private land. Be careful if you leave the trail.
• Loppet nordic ski race: annual fundraising event for the Mineral Belt Trail in usually held in mid February. Keep an eye out for details & registration for the 5,10, 22 & 44 kilometer events around the holidays.
Have a wonderful time on the Mineral Belt Trail and come back often!